Home   Sport   Article

Oban and Kyles Athletic keep up the pressure in Premiership

By Gavin Musgrove

Contribute to support quality local journalism

Oban Camanachd entertained Kilmallie and won 4-0 with Daniel Cameron opening up on 19 minutes before three second half goals from Daniel MacVicar on 51 minutes, Andrew MacCuish on the hour and Aidan MacIntyre ten minutes later.

Meanwhile Kyles were making hay at the Winterton against bottom club Inveraray although it took a long time to establish superiority.

Robbie MacLeod scored first in the 35th minute but Ruaraidh Graham jr levelled for the basement side on 51 minutes.

MacLeod re-established Kyles' advantage four minutes later, before a Ross MacRae double in 75 and 80 minutes gave the Tighnabruaich outfit a 4-1 lead.

MacLeod rounded things off with his hat-trick goal a minute from time.

Get this Thursday's Strathy for all the reaction to the big Badenoch derby match which ended with a sting in the tail for the Kings. (Photo: Fiona Young)
Get this Thursday's Strathy for all the reaction to the big Badenoch derby match which ended with a sting in the tail for the Kings. (Photo: Fiona Young)

In the remaining Premiership tie, Kinlochshiel celebrated the opening of their new pitch at Reraig with a 7-0 thumping of Caberfeidh that moved them up to third place, however, they have played more games than those around them.

Mark MacDonald opened the scoring in the 6th minute followed by Donald Nixon five minutes later then John MacRae on 35 and 38 minutes and Ali Nixon on 42 minutes to give ‘Shiel a 5-0 advantage at the turn.

MacRae scored his hat-trick goal four minutes into the second period, then Jordan Fraser wrapped things up in the 74th minute.

In the National Division there was only one fixture played with Glasgow Mid Argyll running riot over struggling Bute.

Duncan MacRae opened the list on four minutes before Calum McLay added two more in the 6th and 7th minutes and a 10th minute penalty strike from Craig Anderson made it 4-0.

McLay added three more in the 27th, 33rd and 35th minutes to make it 7-0 at the turn.

MacRae made it eight two minutes after the restart and McLay went on to net his sixth and seventh on 63 and 73 minutes to wind up 10-0 winners.

In North Division 1, Glenurquhart upset Fort William’s title prospects with a 1-0 victory at Blairbeg thanks to a Neale Reid strike on the hour mark, whilst the fixture between Kingussie and Aberdeen University was postponed.

The only game in North Division Two saw Kilmallie defeat Lewis 5-0 at Canal Parks.

In the south, the main event was the Bullough Cup Final which saw Glasgow Mid Argyll beaten 4-1 by Lochside Rovers.

Lewis Buchanan gave Lochside the advantage on the half hour then Michael McQueen on 48 minutes and Craig MacDonald on 63 minutes extended the lead before Buchanan netted his second ten minutes later.

Nick Lavin scored GMA's consolation two minutes from time.

In South Division 1, Taynuilt won 3-2 at home over Inveraray and Tayforth won 2-1 at Col Glen, both in mid table contests that did not affect league positions whilst in South 2, Glenorchy’s 4-0 win over Aberdour at Dalmally sees them take over top spot from Kilmory.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More