Home   Sport   Article

Highland League round-up: Huntly striker scores five goals in first half against Strathspey Thistle

By Craig Christie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Angus Grant was the Highland League headline-maker with what could be a record-breaking first half performance for Huntly.

Angus Grant (left) scored five first half goals for Huntly.
Angus Grant (left) scored five first half goals for Huntly.

The Christie Park hit-man scored five times in a devastating 35-minute first half burst in Huntly's 7-0 victory over Strathspey Thistle.

The Back and Golds were 2-0 up inside 10 minutes as Grant's opener was quickly followed by an Owen Loveland own goal.

By the 40th minute, Grant had scored four more goals to put his team 6-0 up at the break.

His tally of five first half goals could well be a club record and a feat that surely hasn't been achieved many time in the league's long history.

Ryan Sewell struck Huntly's seventh with six minutes to go.

Leaders Brechin City could hardly have hoped for a better set of results as some of their title rivals faltered.

The Tayside outfit came from behind to beat Wick Academy 3-1, while second-placed Banks ' Dee, third-placed Buckie Thistle and fourth-placed Formartine United all dropped points.

Gordon MacNab's opener for Wick at Glebe Park was turned around by half time as Matty Wright and Ewan Loudon (2) netted to put Brechin in the driving seat on their way to a 3-1 success.

Buckie Thistle were stunned by Clachnacuddin on their return to Victoria Park, losing 3-2 at the death.

Banks O' Dee twice led Brora Rangers through goals by Lachie MacLeod and Ethan Cairns but levellers by Mark Nicolson and an 83rd minute Jordan MacRae goal earned a point for the Cattachs.

Latest Highland League table
Latest Highland League table

Lossiemouth produced a fine display to hold Formartine United to a 2-2 draw at North Lodge Park.

Paul Campbell put United in front on 37 minutes only for Brandon Hutcheson to equalise on the stroke of half time.

Ross Morrison then put Lossie in front and on course for a shock win until Adam Enslie levelled on 67 minutes, but the Coasters held on for a superb point.

Keith defeated Rothes 2-1 in a rematch of their goalless draw at Mackessack Park a week earlier.

The scoresheet was again blank after 45 minutes but a Lewis Coull spot kick broke the deadlock for the Maroons on 63 minutes.

Rothes sub Kenzie Shepherd came on for the final 20 minutes and scored direct from a corner on 78 minutes to register his first senior goal and make it 1-1.

But the Speysiders' joy was short-lived as Mikey Taylor restored Keith's advantage four minutes later with what proved to be the winner.

Forres Mechanics has striker Shaun Morrison sent off for dissent in the opening 20 minutes of their 1-0 defeat at Inverurie Locos.

The ten men couldn't hold on as Lloyd Robertson netted the only goal of the game for Locos on 53 minutes.

Fraserburgh beat Nairn County 3-0 with Jamie Beagrie, Scott Barbour and Josh Hawkins getting their goals, while the match between Turriff United and Deveronvale was postponed.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More