Home   Sport   Article

HIGHLAND LEAGUE ROUND-UP: Strathspey Thistle unable to build on recent points return

By Craig Christie

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Strathspey Thistle were unable to take advantage of taking an early lead again as they went down 4-1 to Huntly last night at Seafield Park.

The Grantown club has gone one up in their last four games and in that time went on to secure a 5-2 winb over Deveronvale and a point in a thrilling draw away to Clach.

But last night they were unable to capitalise on Michael Mackenzie's 12th minute opener as Huntly returned to winning ways against the bottom club.

But two goals in three minutes by Andy Hunter and Robbie Foster turned the game the way of the visitors.

Michael Dangana and sub Angus Grant sealed the points for Huntly in the second half.

Elsewhere last night, Rothes came from behind to defeat Deveronvale on a dramatic night at MacKessack Park.

Captain Michael Finnis was Rothes' stoppage time penalty hero against Deveronvale. Picture: Beth Taylor.
Captain Michael Finnis was Rothes' stoppage time penalty hero against Deveronvale. Picture: Beth Taylor.

Vale, looking to build on Saturday's win over Lossiemouth, led at the break through teenager Jack Mitchell's first Highland League goal.

Kyle Whyte levelled on the hour and with the game heading for a draw, the Speysiders were awarded a disputed penalty kick in stoppage time.

Vale manager Craig Stewart was sent off for his protests and Rothes skipper Michael Finnis stepped up to fire in the winner three minutes into stoppages.

Former Elgin City manager Gavin Price took charge of leaders Brechin City for the first time as Keith paid a visit to Glebe Park.

Highland League table
Highland League table

A fast start saw Fraser MacLeod give City the lead, Matty Tough levelled for the Maroons on ten minutes but 60 seconds later Marc Scott has Brechin back in front.

Grady McGrath's 24th goal of the season made it 3-1 on 20 minutes and that was the end of the scoring, although floodlight failure saw the game delayed in the second half.

Forres Mechanics made it eight league games without a win as they lost 1-0 at home to Inverurie Locos, Myles Gaffney netting on 14 minutes.

Clach have yet to win in 15 league encounters this term, Nairn County ensuring the Inverness side didn't take their first three points with a 1-0 win earned by Callum Maclean's 26th minute goal.

Banks O' Dee moved into second spot with a convincing 4-0 win at Turriff United.

Dayshonne Golding, Jevan Anderson, Mark Gilmour and Max Alexander got the Dee goals.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More