Home   News   Article

Taste of bleach in water in Tomatin 'within strict quality standards'

By Louise Glen

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our digital subscription packages!

Residents are reporting the taste of bleach in their drinking water.
Residents are reporting the taste of bleach in their drinking water.

Residents in Tomatin and Moy are reporting the smell of bleach in their tap water.

Although it is understood the levels are within the permitted Scottish Water and government limits, locals have noticed a change and are unhappy about it.

Reports are being made of the smell of bleach when residents flush toilets, open washing machines, or when they pour a drink of water.

Ward Highland councillor Duncan Macpherson, (Inverness South), said: "I have been in contact with constituents about concern about water.

"It is disappointing when we are meant to have the clearest and purest water here in the Highlands, and residents can smell bleach."

He continued: "Residents tell me the smell is overpowering when they flush the toilet or run a tap. There is no one who would want to drink it. I am sure it is within the prescribed limits - but it has certainly changed.

"The fact it has changed is very disappointing indeed, we have long enjoyed the best water in Scotland, we are encouraged by Scottish Water not to buy bottled water.

"Well, not in Moy and Tomatin in the Strathdearn area south of Inverness where the residents feel forced to buy bottled water to escape the smell."

A Scottish Water spokesman said: “The drinking water we supply all over Scotland is sampled once every two minutes, on average, to ensure it is safe for our customers to drink and use.

“We carry out additional sampling in response to requests from customers – and in all cases in Tomatin and Moy sample results have confirmed that the water is meeting the strict quality standards that apply.

"We want customers to enjoy their water and know that some people are more sensitive to the taste or smell of chlorine, which is used in small quantities to ensure drinking water is free from harmful levels of bacteria or other water pathogens all the way from our water treatment works to the tap.

"We continually monitor the feedback we receive from customers and will also review the data from all of our sampling in order to ensure chlorine levels are no higher than they need to be.

“Customers can get further information from our website at www.scottishwater.co.uk, including advice on steps they can take to reduce the smell or taste of chlorine in their water.”

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More