Seven Highland schools in top 100 on Sunday Times list
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.
Seven Highlands schools were inside the top 100 best performing Scottish secondary schools – when measured on the percentage of pupils securing five or more Highers.
The figures were revealed in the latest Sunday Times Scotland High School League Table for 2023, which placed schools in order from highest percentage to lowest based on the so-called 'gold standard' of academic achievement recorded by pupils at high school.
Top of the list was Jordanhill School in Glasgow with 89% of its leavers achieving five or more Highers in 2022.
The highest Highland school entered the list in 38th place – Ullapool High School, which saw 56% of its pupils achieve the feat.
Not far behind was Glenurquhart High School in Drumnadrochit, which placed 48th on the list with 52%.
Rounding out the Highland schools inside the top 100 were Farr High School in Bettyhill (60th place with half of all leavers securing five or more Highers), Grantown Grammar School (75th place with 47%), Culloden Academy (87th place with 45%), Fortrose Academy (91st place with 44%) and Kingussie High School (100th place with 43%).
The list of Highland secondaries and their placements on the list are as follows (please note, percentage figures can be skewed in schools with relatively low numbers of pupils on their rolls, and therefore low numbers of leavers in any given year).
- 38 - Ullapool High School, with 56% of leavers achieving five or more Highers.
- 48 - Glenurquhart High, 52%.
- 60 - Farr High School, Bettyhill, 50%.
- 75 - Grantown Grammar School, 47%.
- 87 - Culloden Academy, 45%.
- 91 - Fortrose Academy, 44%.
- 100 - Kingussie High School, 43%.
- 104 - Millburn Academy, 43%.
- 123 - Portree High School, 40%.
- 145 - Inverness Royal Academy, 38%.
- 159 - Thurso High School, 37%.
- 190 - Plockton High School, 33%.
- 203 - Lochaber High School, 32%.
- 207 - Tain Royal Academy, 32%.
- 208 - Golspie High School, 32%.
- 221 - Ardnamurchan High School, 30%.
- 232 - Dornoch Academy, 29%.
- 236 - Nairn Academy, 28%.
- 266 - Gairloch High School, 25%.
- 268 - Kinlochleven High School, 25%.
- 269 - Charleston Academy, 25%.
- 274 - Dingwall Academy, 24%.
- 306 - Wick High School, 20%.
- 310 - Alness Academy, 18%.
- 311 - Invergordon Academy, 18%.
- 324 - Inverness High School, 11%.
- 328 - Kilchuimen Academy, Fort Augustus, 1%.
- 331 - Kinlochbervie High School, 1%.