Home   News   Article

Fire services called out after reports of gas leak in Aviemore


By Gavin Musgrove

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.



Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said there was no sign of a gas leak in the centre of Aviemore following investigations this morning.

The concerns followed reports of a strong smell of gas which could be detected across a large part of the village.

It is understood that Mountain Warehouse at the Aviemore shopping centre had to close its doors for a while as the smell was so strong.

Firefighters have since investigated and reported that there was no sign of a gas leak in the vicinity.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 11.07am today to reports of a smell of gas on Grampian Road in Aviemore.

"Operations control mobilised one appliance to the scene where firefighters investigated the area.

"There was no sign of a gas leak and crews left at 12.11pm."

A number of people reported smelling gas in the centre of Aviemore earlier today on local social media.

Iain Gemmill said: "It's reeking all over town."

Keri Alexander said: "Ah, I did wonder what the foul smell in the air was here at Myrtlefield,"

Clive Rose posted: "I thought I could smell gas on the way down to the hospital but then I thought there's no mains gas in Aviemore."


Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More