Home   Sport   Article

Nairn County manager says Highland League should be suspended due to rise in Omicron cases

By Ali Morrison

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our digital subscription packages!

Nairn County manager Ronnie Sharp believes the Highland League needs to take a break to battle the rising number of cases of Omicron variant in Scotland.

Nairn County taking on Lossiemouth in the North of Scotland Cup.
Nairn County taking on Lossiemouth in the North of Scotland Cup.

He says discussions have to take place between clubs if a circuit breaker is required to help battle Coronavirus in the region and limit the risk of people becoming seriously ill.

The North Junior Super League cancelled their final round of fixtures before their festive break last weekend as a result of concerns over the growing number of cases.

Sharp says the Highland League must also look at doing likewise, believing it would be the right thing to do.

“Nobody seems to know what the right thing is to do, especially over the festive period,” says Sharp.

“Teams have to travel a fair distance in this league and you don’t know whether it is best to travel by bus or go by cars.

“I would probably support it and we seriously need to think about it.

“The league needs to discuss what they are going to do.

“The travelling is the big issue, with 42 people on a bus, how big a risk infection is.

“I would probably say shut down for week or two and see what happens.

“It is hard to control and all the players work in different jobs, it is not like the whole squad is contained in one place of the work.

“I would support the league taking a break over the travel issue and changing rooms with the risk of infection.

“Everyone is trying their best to keep two metres apart, but people are still in enclosed spaces.

“The infection rate seems to be doubling every day.”

Highland League officials are set to hold talks with the Scottish FA.

League secretary Rod Houston said while no plans are in place to pause the league, it will be discussed.

“The current advice from the Joint Response Group is to keep going, but be sensible about your precautions,” said Houston.

“The clubs are meeting with the Scottish FA on Wednesday afternoon (today)....

“Once we’ve had that meeting with the Scottish FA, we will discuss the next step.

“We are maintaining vigilance and we have only had one report of coronavirus at our clubs within the past three weeks. We are looking to get a better handle on the wider picture and what is likely to be the case.”

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More