Home   Sport   Article

HIGHLAND LEAGUE ROUND-UP: Strathspey Thistle fightback in second half gives Wick almighty scare

By Ali Morrison

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Strathspey Thistle nearly picked up a highly unlikely point from their long trip to Wick with a battling second half display.

The hosts were three up at half-time through Gordon MacNab (3rd), Kyle Henderson (12th) and Jack Halliday (32nd) got the Wick goals and they were seemingly cruising.

But the Jags scored twice without reply in the second half at Harmsworth Park on Saturday to nearly come home with something.

Jack Davison continued his impressive form in front of goal netting in the 52nd and 73rd minutes.

He first handed the Jags a lifeline after unleashing a shot from outside the box on the left which found a gap at the near post.

Then he struck again, from roughly the same position to put the Grantown side well and truly back in the game.

But the visitors were unable to find that third and all-important goal.

Strathspey Thistle manager Rob MacCormack said afterwards: "Obviously the wind spoiled the game.

"It was a game of two halves – Wick scored three, we scored two, and we didn't do enough to get a third goal and push on.

"We can't be giving teams three-goal head starts, so that was a disappointment.

"In the second half we gave it our all but it just wasn't to be."

Elsewhere, Clachnacuddin saw a poor second half cost them dearly against Huntly in Saturday’s Highland League action.

Millar Gamble had actually given the Lilywhites a 1-0 lead at half time but the visitors scored four in around 20 minutes at the start of the second half to race into a commanding lead.

Lewis Mackenzie would score what could only be a consolation late in the game, and Clach will look to bounce back quickly as they host Forres Mechanics in the league tomorrow night.

While Clach were disappointed with their outcome, Nairn County produced arguably the result of the weekend by beating title contenders Buckie Thistle 3-0 at Station Park.

Brechin City remain top of the table after a 2-0 win over Lossiemouth, and Brora Rangers also kept their name in the mix with a 3-0 victory away at Deveronvale.

Banks O’Dee added another three points to their tally by beating Keith 2-0, and Fraserburgh ran out 2-1 winners over Forres.

Formartine overcame Turriff United 2-1, but Inverurie Locos won more comfortably, 4-1 at Rothes.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More