Newtonmore Highland Games cancelled for second year because of Covid impact
Get the Strathspey Herald sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper
There will be no Highland games in the strath this summer after the Newtonmore organisers called off their highly popular gathering because of the impact of Covid-19.
The games committee said it had been an incredibly difficult decision to take but there was simply too much uncertainty ahead of the scheduled August 7 date.
It is the second year in a row the Newtonmore games have been called off, and follows on from the cancellation of the Abernethy Games in early March.
Committee chairman Tom Robertson said it was the logical decision to take due to the socialising involved and there had not been ‘any arguments’ in the village.
He said: “Our decision comes after taking advice over the uncertainty of how large events might function under the Covid-19 rules, and with due consultation we decided that the 2021 Highland Games will be postponed until August 6, 2022.”
The Scottish Highland Games Association reports 35 Highland Games having already been cancelled for 2021, and there are many more not under the umbrella organisation.
Local games in Tomintoul, Forres and Inverness have already been called off.
Mr Robertson said: “We felt that for the safety of everyone concerned, and that while it would be disappointing to cancel the games for a second year, it was the most appropriate decision.
“We would like to thank all those who have supported the Newtonmore Games over the years, and hope that they will continue their support in 2022 and beyond when we are past the current pandemic.”
The games also host the Creag Dhubh Hill Race and the popular worldwide gathering of the Clan Macpherson.