Published: 12/08/2017 16:47 - Updated: 13/08/2017 07:59

Ross County edged out by Aberdeen after early opener

Written byPaul Chalk

ABERDEEN hit back from a goal down to defeat Ross County 2-1 in the Ladbrokes Premiership today.

Staggies midfielder Tim Chow sat this one out following his head wound sustained in the midweek 3-2 extra-time Betfred Cup loss to Motherwell. Wide midfielder Ryan Dow began the day as a substitute, while Sean Kelly was not in the squad at all.

The headline County team news was a debut for last week's signing from Caley Thistle, midfielder Ross Draper, with Kenny van der Weg and Craig Curran returning to the team.

The Dons, boosted by the four-year deal for Preston and former St Johnstone striker Stevie May, pitched him in for his debut.

Also added to the team which edged 1-0 past Hamilton in the Betfred Cup on Wednesday were Greg Stewart and Gary Mackay-Steven, with on-loan Celt Ryan Christie and striker Nicky Maynard dropping to the bench

The hosts got off to a dream start when they got the opener after just 82 seconds.

Christopher Routis whipped in a free-kick which Michael Gardyne won and striker Curran pounced to head the ball beyond Joe Lewis into the net.

County were flying and Curran headed another effort just off target moments later, although the offside flag would have denied him had it gone in.

Then Routis on seven minutes was not far off with a shot as Aberdeen faced a fresh attack.

The Dons were struggling to find their feet and it took until the 13th minute for them to threaten when Kenny McLean drew a save from Scott Fox from 25 yards.

Ten minutes later, the visitors' pressure paid off when Andrew Considine nodded Greg Tansey's corner across the edge of the box and Mark Reynold volleyed the ball high past Fox high into the net to make it 1-1. It was a sweet strike and got the 2100 fans in the away section back on song.

May then attempted to get a debut goal, but his low effort was gathered well by Fox.

On 35 minutes, County's Jason Naismith will have felt he should have restored his side's lead but he drilled a low shot off target when he connected with a Gardyne cross.

The next chance of note arrived six minutes after the restrart when a Tansey free-kick from the left was headed just wide by the in-rushing Anthony O'Connor for Aberdeen.

Then it took a great stop from Fox to keep out a shot from Greg Stewart just before Davies cleared up a follow-up from McLean.

Aberdeen continued to press and Tansey saw his 25-yard free-kick stopped by Fox and May blasted the rebound over the crossbar.

Last year's runners-up were in front, however, on 71 minutes when Mackay-Steven's delivery from the left was headed home by Logan, who has now scored on his last four visits to Dingwall.

County responded though and sub Jim O'Brien was not far off with a long range effort.

Time though was against them and they could not get the much desired late equaliser a stunning O'Brien 30-yarder crashing off the bar in the dying seconds.

The Dingwall team, who kicked off their league season with a 2-1 win at Dundee last weekend, will look to bounce back next Saturday at Motherwell.

Ross County: Fox, Naismith, Curran, Davies, Lindsay, van der Weg, Fraser, Routis (O'Brien 46), Draper (Keillor-Dunn 73), Schalk (Mikkelsen 56), Gardyne. Subs not used: McCarey (GK), Dow, Tumility, Malcolm.

Aberdeen: Lewis, Logan, Shinnie, Considine, O'Connor, Reynolds, McLean, Stewart (Wright 77), Mackay-Steven (Christie 77), Tansey, May (Maynard 85). Subs not used: Rogers (GK), Rooney, Arnason, Stockley.

Referee: Don Robertson.

Attendance: 5965.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo